Why Should I Use a HIPAA-Compliant Medical Answering Service?
What is HIPAA?
As a healthcare professional, your practice must abide by the strict regulations specified by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). HIPAA refers to a set of legislation created to safeguard patients' privacy and their individualized medical records. Having HIPAA-compliant answering services ensures you are free from liabilities and penalties.
If you are thinking of partnering with a patient answering or scheduling service, check why making sure it is HIPAA-compliant is a must.
Importance of staying full HIPAA-Compliant
The HIPAA act is particular about the requirements you must adhere to protect your patients' medical records. It also describes the potential penalties/fines your practice might incur if your responsibility is not carried out under it.
Staying HIPAA-compliant is essential to your clinic's reputation as it provides your patients peace of mind and numerous advantages:
- Improve privacy: privacy is on top of mind for patients. HIPAA compliance will lower the risk of your patient's medical records being compromised. According to a recent survey by The American Medical Association (AMA) 2022, 75% of US patients are concerned about protecting the privacy of their health data.
- Secure your systems: HIPAA regulation will aid your practice to keep your servers and systems up to date with the best security and privacy practices.
- Enhance your security alertness: Singling out threats and vulnerabilities is not an easy task. When you utilize a HIPAA-compliant medical answering service, your servers are constantly being scanned for any suspicious activity allowing more time for you to spot threats and prevent them before they harm any patient's medical record.
- Improve your practice management: using HIPAA-compliant medical answering service will make your medical facilities safer, removing unnecessary stress and giving you your time back to meeting your patient's demands.
How HIPAA-Compliant answering services can help your Healthcare center
Answering services facilitate excellent customer service provision in the medical industry while ensuring that your clinic is fully HIPAA-compliant. There is undoubtedly a lot to gain from it.
Here is how answering services will help your outpatient clinic:
- Facilitate effective communication with your patients: a HIPAA-compliant medical answering service will positively impact your facilities in terms of medical staff communication and responsiveness rating as stipulated by the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS).
- Raise patient satisfaction: medical answering services will be around the clock to attend to all calls from your patients. Based on your plans, it will also be accessible on holidays and allow you to schedule appointments beyond business hours.
- Make your clinic more available: Answering services operate in several shifts, making it easier for your patients to access you during odd hours.
- Improve your clinic's reputation: Bad reviews will impact your clinic's reputation negatively. Studies suggest that the cause of 60% of bad reviews is poor appointment settings. Utilizing a medical answering service will keep your entire calendar of appointments updated and organized.
- Build a solid doctor-patient connection: It will cultivate a robust provider-patient connection by developing trust and respect outside your clinic hours.
- Lead to personalized care: Answering services can help you make follow-up calls with your patients and lead to more personalized care.
Questions to qualify your potential Patient Scheduling Service
Since HIPAA encompasses a broad range of business associates, it can be challenging to know where to begin. The standards can be ambiguous and doing an assessment is important to ensure you aren't risking your EPHI data.
Here we provide a guide with a checklist of essential inquiries to help you qualify your potential patient answering services:
- Ask who within the company will have access to the information.
- Try to know what kind of evidence the company might be able to offer to support your shared adherence to HIPAA.
- Inquire whether the organization has a designated individual to deal with security and compliance issues.
- Seek to know how often the organization audits activity logs and whether it is an automated or a manual process.
- Try to question the type of physical safeguard they have set for their facilities.
- Ask more about their disaster recovery plan as you focus on the details.
- If the organization has an electronic facility, seek to know their cybersecurity solution.
- Request the protocols the company has put in place to manage instances of data breaches.
Benefits of employing a HIPAA-compliant Patient Scheduling Service
No-shows are costly for healthcare institutions, causing the country's healthcare system to lose more than $150 billion annually on average. By partnering with a HIPAA-compliant medical answering service, besides security, your clinic will obtain more benefits:
- Reduced labor cost: A medical answering service will handle all your calls and route them to the proper departments or staff. Whether your team is busy or out of the office, medical answering service staff will be happy to help with your call traffic.
- Increased availability: You will benefit from much comfort knowing that all your calls are being answered and emergencies are getting attended to.
- Increased productivity: A medical answering service will assist to completely avoid missing calls, enabling additional time for you and your team to work much more productively. Besides, patients appreciate having their needs met around the clock.
Partner with CCD Health
Partner with CCD Health
- Nearshore answering service
- KPO service
As a medical provider, there is no question that patterning with a HIPAA-compliant medical answering service will help you get many benefits. In addition to being the top KPO service provider, CCD Health also offers a Nearshore answering service that will significantly improve patient satisfaction.
We can provide the best technology for medical answering services and the flexibility to satisfy any healthcare practitioner's needs. Our main goal is to assist you in using patient experience as a competitive value. You may be sure that CCD Health will help you establish a solid doctor-patient relationship that will foster respect and trust for your clinic. Get in touch with us today to learn more about how we can benefit your medical facilities.